CHICOPEE, Mass. (Mass Appeal) – A new marriage is much like a newly planted garden. It has great potential for the future if it is well cared for. And just as a garden grows, so can a marriage relationship.
Dr. Rob Robinson, Clinical Director of Family Care Counseling Associates in Wilbraham shared tips on how to make your marriage successful.
Five Tips for Newly-Married Couples:
1. Collaborate on new family rituals. Tell your parents if you have your own ideas about family vacations, holidays, etc.
2. Learn how to repair disagreements early in the relationship
3. Know each other’s dreams and aspirations, don’t assume you know. Then, find ways to be involved in the other person’s dreams goals and dreams.
4. If you have a baby, expect a predictable decline in marital satisfaction. Don’t panic or give up.
5. Work as a team on household chores. For example, men who help with household chores are less depressed and have happier marriages.
Five Tips for Seasoned Married Couples:
1. Re-romanticize the relationship.
2. Update your love maps and keep the marital friendship strong.
3. Make deposits in the other person’s emotional bank account each day.
4. Refresh your fondness and admiration for one another.
5. Watch out for criticism, defensiveness, stonewalling, and contempt.