Mother, policeman rushed to hospital from Agawam fire

agawam condo fire

AGAWAM, Mass. (WWLP) - A woman and an Agawam police officer were rushed to the hospital after a grease fire in an Agawam apartment Monday night.

Agawam Fire Chief Alan Sirois told 22News that arriving firefighters found the entire kitchen in flames when they arrived at 775 Springfield Street at the Brady Village Apartments at 4:15 Monday afternoon.

“The occupant was transported to the hospital along with a police officer for smoke inhalation,” Sirois told 22News.  “Both are in stable condition at this time.  One cat was rescued by the fire department; also in stable condition.”

Chief Sirois said grease caught fire on the stovetop, and spread quickly. Chief Sirois said there was extensive damage to the kitchen, walls and ceiling in the apartment, and that the woman would not be able to stay there Monday night.

It’s a multi-unit building, but only one unit was affected.

The Red Cross is providing emergency shelter for a mother and two children.

blog comments powered by Disqus