Symptons of carbon monoxide poisoning

CHICOPEE, Mass. (WWLP) – If you don’t have a working carbon monoxide detector in your home, you may not know if you’re getting poisoned by CO until it’s too late.

It’s called the silent killer because you can’t see it or smell it.  Carbon monoxide can be found in fumes from a furnace, generators, or wood or coal burning stoves.

If your furnace malfunctions, and there’s no proper ventilation, the odorless, colorless gas can build up and make you sick, or even kill you.

“What they’ve done essentially is prevent a current of oxygen and air from going through the house, so if there is carbon monoxide in the air, it’s going to stay there. And they are going to breathe it in. And if you go to sleep with carbon monoxide, you’re not going to wake up,” John Kealy of Doctor’s Express said.

Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include dizziness, headache, vomiting and abdominal pain.

These are similar to the flu symptoms.  If you suspect you have CO poisoning, get to the emergency room right away.